Created by D. Colgur with EclipseCrossword by Green Eclipse Software — www.eclipsecrossword.com
1. an element that makes the surface of Io yellow in colour
3. The surface of Mercury has many _______
5. these devices prevented Mars landers from being destroyed on landing (2 words together)
6. A spacecraft that landed on Mars in July 1997 and released a small rover called Sojouner. Many images were sent back to Earth.
7. a chunk of rock and ice in a large elliptical orbit around the sun. As it gets close to the sun, it forms a tail.
11. the largest moon of Saturn is called Titan and it is the only moon in the solar system known to have an _____
14. The 4 largest moons of Jupiter are Callisto, Io, Europa and __________
15. large chunks of rock orbiting between Mars and Jupiter.
17. an outer planet that is not a gas giant
18. a moon of Jupiter on which volcanic activity was found
21. a gas that is very plentiful in the atmosphere of Venus (2 words together)
22. The Magellan spacecraft was able to see the surface of Venus through the clouds by using ______
1. the planet with the largest ring system
2. an icy cold planet with blue clouds
4. a terrestial planet between Earth and Jupiter
8. the outer planets are thought to have atmospheres rich in the gases hydrogen, helium and __________
9. the name of the mission which succesfully landed on Mars in January 2004 and started sending back images.
10. a moon of the planet Pluto
12. A falling chunk of rock that makes it all the way to the Earth's surface without completely burning up.
13. the planet closest to our sun
16. a gigantic hurricane on the surface of Jupiter is called the Great Red ____
19. the largest planet in our solar system
20. the name of a spacecraft that gave us a lot of information about Jupiter, Saturn and Neptune in the 1970's and 1980's.